Harford County police chase leads to crash, arrest in Baltimore County

Police Chase Harford County police chase leads to crash, arrest in Baltimore CountyThere was a wild police chase in Harford County on Monday afternoon, and it ended with a crash in Baltimore County.

It all started when an off-duty sheriff’s deputy was rear-ended at Route 23 and White Hall Road.

When the deputy got out of his car and approached the vehicle that hit him, the driver fled…with the deputy stuck in the vehicle.

Police say the deputy was dragged a short distance before he shot at the driver.

The deputy eventually managed to free himself and got back into his car to pursue the other driver.

That other driver eventually wound up crashing at about 5 p.m. EDT near Old York Road and Jolly Acres Road in Baltimore County.

The driver was taken into custody after attempting to flee the scene.

Fortunately, the deputy only suffered minor injuries.

UPDATE: Here is the full news release from the Harford County Sheriff’s Office…

[April 8, 2013, White Hall, MD] — At 4:55 p.m. this evening, an off-duty sheriff’s deputy assigned to the Violent Street Crimes Unit of the Harford County Sheriff’s Office was stopped for traffic on Norrisville Road at the intersection of White Hall Road in northwestern Harford County, when he was rear ended by a black 2001 Toyota 4Runner being driven by 33 year old, William Redding Harvey V, of 1617 Dulaney Drive, from Jarrettsville, Maryland.

After the impact, the deputy, who was in plain clothes got out of his unmarked patrol car, walked back to the 4Runner, identified himself as a deputy, and engaged in a conversation with Harvey. At that time, witnesses told police it did not appear that Harvey was responding to the deputy’s request and believed he may have been trying to leave the scene. The deputy attempted to place him under arrest. Preliminary information suggests that while this was taking place Harvey began to slowly veer around the patrol car during which time the deputy became caught up in the vehicle’s movements. The suspect continued to pull away. The deputy,
concerned for his safety and believed that he was at risk of being seriously injured or killed, fired his service weapon in an attempt to stop the threat.

As the car pulled away the deputy managed to regain his footing. Harvey then fled the scene at a high rate of speed. The deputy pursued the vehicle west on Norrisville Road and then continued west on Rt. 439. The suspect’s vehicle entered Baltimore County and attempted to make a turn onto a side street when Harvey lost control causing the 4Runner to roll over. The suspect freed himself from the wreckage and fled from the deputy. The deputy caught the suspect after a brief foot chase and as back up units arrived took him into custody without further incident. The deputy was taken by ambulance to St. Joseph Medical Center for minor injuries.

Harvey was taken by ambulance to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center, where as of this news release, he is still being evaluated. Arrest warrants have been issued for Harvey charging him with 2nd degree assault, resisting arrest, obstruction and hindering, failure to obey a lawful order of a police officer. He is facing additional traffic charges as well.

The 37-year-old, 8-year veteran deputy of the Sheriff’s Office was later released from the hospital and is currently on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.


 Harford County police chase leads to crash, arrest in Baltimore County

bnj pinterest Harford County police chase leads to crash, arrest in Baltimore County