Naval Academy to move forward with sexual assault case

US Naval Academy Naval Academy to move forward with sexual assault caseThe U.S. Naval Academy has opted to move forward with a case in which a female midshipman accuses football players of sexually assaulting her after she had passed out from drinking, the school announced on Monday.

Vice Adm. Michael Miller sent the case to Article 32 proceedings, which is the military equivalent of a preliminary hearing to determine whether there’s enough evidence to proceed to a court-martial.

It is not yet known how many football players would be named in the case.

The woman claims that the sexual assault occurred at an off-campus house in Annapolis last year. She says she woke up with bruises after a night of heavy drinking and later learned via social media that three football players were claiming to have had sex with her while she was blacked out.

President Barack Obama talked about the issue of sexual assault when he spoke at the academy’s commissioning ceremony in May.  At the time, Obama said those who commit sexual assault threaten the trust and discipline that holds the military together.

 Naval Academy to move forward with sexual assault case
WJLA

bnj pinterest Naval Academy to move forward with sexual assault case

Comments

comments