The incident occurred on Monday night at Camp Moshava.
There, an older camper was bitten on the toe by the venomous snake on the toe. He was transported to a local hospital, where he’s currently listed in stable condition.
Camp Moshava is a Jewish summer camp.
The camp director says this is the first time there has been a serious injury since the camp opened its doors three decades ago.
An exterminator will inspect the campground and campers are now being advised to wear close-toed shoes and remain in well-lit areas.
According to the Maryland Poison Control Center, there are usually between two and six people bitten in Maryland each year by venomous snakes.
People rarely die from the bites.