Three-time Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti was hospitalized following a massive crash at the 2013 Houston Grand Prix on Sunday.
Franchitti was battling it out with Takuma Sato on the final lap of the IndyCar Series race when both cars hit collided with each other, causing Franchitti’s to go flying through the air, slamming into the fence on the side of a turn. E.J. Viso managed to avoid Franchitti’s vehicle, but he hit Sato.
Debris from the wreck injured 13 spectators, according to the Houston Fire Department. Two of the spectators were taken to a local hospital, while an IndyCar series official was treated at the scene.
Franchitti had to be taken away on a stretcher. He suffered two fractured vertebra, a fractured right ankle and a concussion, according to FoxNews. He will not need surgery.
Sato and Viso walked away from the crash.
Check out more in the video below.
- VIDEO: Dario Franchitti shocking crash, Houston Grand Prix, IndyCar 2013 (3news.co.nz)
- IndyCar’s Dario Franchitti hospitalized, 13 hurt in Houston crash (upi.com)
- Dario Franchitti, 13 others hurt in Houston race wreck (cnn.com)
- Franchitti fractures spine in crash (bbc.co.uk)
- Sato, Viso, Franchitti involved in massive last lap accident at Houston (motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com)