Two law firms firm representing 2,500 former patients of Dr. Nikita Levy say the lawsuit will now be moving forward.
The firms released additional documents in the case on Friday afternoon.
Lawyers now say there could be as many 9,000 victims, but stopped short of discussing compensation for them.
Dr. Levy is accused of taking photos and video of his patients during gynecological exams. He committed suicide earlier this year.
Attorneys said Friday that they still aren’t sure if the offending images were shared on the web.
“Johns Hopkins sincerely hopes that the conditional class action settlement framework will facilitate a fair resolution of all claims,” said Hopkins in a prepared statement. “The decision to engage in settlement discussions is not an admission of wrongdoing by Johns Hopkins.
“Because of the sensitive nature of the allegations, Johns Hopkins believes that attempting to resolve the claims without protracted litigation is in the best interests of those potentially affected by Dr. Levy’s conduct and will help to preserve the privacy of our patients.”
- Plaintiffs’ Attorneys and Johns Hopkins Receive Conditional Settlement Class Certification to Resolve Claims Related to Dr. Nikita Levy (hopkinsmedicine.org)
- Thousands eligible for lawsuit on Johns Hopkins gynecologist who secretly videotaped women (mercurynews.com)