The group says it’s against the Common Core State Standards, new national education standards which were adopted by 45 states, including Maryland.
The protestors represented several counties within the state, including Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, Howard, Cecil and others. They expressed their concerns about Common Core and other new education reforms being implemented.
Protesters say that, instead of educators coming up with creative ways to teach, they must now follow a strict national curriculum designed by the federal government.
the Department of Education released a statement saying, “The common core state standards are being implemented in all Maryland public schools this year, increasing academic rigor and better preparing our students for college or career after their graduation from high school…We encourage you to visit a public school in your neighborhood and see the great work taking place.”
Facebook pages and groups protesting the Common Core State Standards already have hundreds, if thousands, of members:
- Angry Md. Parents Band Together To Fight Common Core (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- Common core protesters say get rid of new standards (educationviews.org)
- Fla. parents join national day of protest against Common Core (ivoter.com)
- Parents protest Common Core education (abc2news.com)
- STATE HOUSE: Common Core protest at SC education department + video (thestate.com)