The schools are:
– Frost Elementary School, Allegany County
– Linthicum Elementary School, Anne Arundel County
– Western School of Technology & Environmental Science, Baltimore County
– Northern Garrett High School, Garrett County
– Cashell Elementary School, Montgomery County
– Robert Goddard French Immersion Elementary/Middle School, Prince George’s County
The schools are recognized on the basis of rigorous State and national requirements for high achievement and significant improvement. The students in each of these schools are high achievers in reading and mathematics, and many serve a significant number of economically disadvantaged students.
“The Maryland Blue Ribbon Schools stand as shining examples of the outstanding education taking place at public schools throughout our State,” said State Superintendent of Schools Lillian M. Lowery. “The students, teachers, administrators, and communities that are part of these schools deserve our congratulations and admiration.”
The schools will be invited by the U.S. Department of Education to apply to be National Blue Ribbon Schools. With underwriting of Maryland sponsors, each school will receive a Maryland Blue Ribbon Flag, a monetary prize, an interactive Smart Board, and a school-wide Pizza Party. A dinner in Annapolis will be held in honor of the winning schools next Spring. On that date, each Blue Ribbon School will be honored by the Maryland House of Delegates and the Senate.
Maryland corporate sponsors include BGE; Comcast; Joe Corbi’s Pizza; Music and Arts Stores; and SMART Technologies, Inc.