What Does Blanc Wine Pair Well With?
Sauvignon Blanc is a diverse grape and many people’s favorite type of wine. It varies from very crisp flavors to a rather rich body. Therefore, what goes well with it varies as well. Here’s what you need to know about what goes best with what kind of Sauvignon Blanc.
What Pairs Well With Sauvignon Blanc?
Blanc with more mineral flavors pairs best with foods that are simple and potentially even raw. This is because the mineral flavors within the Blanc draw out the minerals and subtle flavors within nearly raw ingredients, creating a rich and fulfilling experience. Here are some ideas for foods that will pair great with your mineral blanc:
- Raw and lightly cooked shellfish. Shrimp or prawns with the shell on, fresh crab, and fish that has been very lightly grilled all pair extremely well with a mineral Blanc.
- Tomato, dill, and goat cheese. Dishes that have barely cooked or raw tomato, like gazpacho or tomato vinaigrette, pair very nicely. You may find that using dill and goats cheese with these tomato dishes is especially delicious.
- Sushi. Sushi, sashimi, and other Japanese-style raw dishes pair very well with this wine. You can also get away with pairing it with smoked raw fish like smoked salmon, but it works best if the smoke is a very delicate flavor.
Citrus Blanc Wine
Sauvignon blanc with a more citrus flavor makes it sturdier to hold up to heavier herbs and spices, although it is still a good match for fish.
- Oily fish. This blanc does better with more well-grilled fish, especially oily fish. It does especially well with mackerel, sardines, and chargrilled squid. You may also find a citrus blanc to be ideal with big prawns cooked with lots of garlic. If you want a hearty meal of fish and chips or a sturdy grilled chicken or veal dish, a citrus Blanc is an excellent choice to go along with it.
- Spiced Foods. Heavily-spiced Greek and Mexican foods and dishes using lots of avocados, green onions, and sharp cheeses such as feta and garlic all pair very well with the sturdy citrus Blanc.
Oak Sauvignon Blanc Wine
Sauvignon Blanc wine that has been aged in Oak barrels has a distinct, separate taste that makes it ideal for very different foods. These wines go very well with white meat like chicken or veal.
You’ll find it especially suitable if there’s a creamy sauce with the meat or you are considering spring vegetables like peas or asparagus. Pan-fried or grilled salmon and scallops, as well as lightly smoked fish like trout also do very well with an Oaky Sauvignon Blanc.
When Do People Usually Drink Sauvignon Blanc?
Sauvignon blanc is a very popular wine that is drunk year-round, but it is especially popular in the spring and summer. It’s a natural pairing with veal, which comes in the spring, and it is the ideal companion to the rewards of summer fishing trips. Whatever type of Sauvignon Blanc you’re considering, you’ll find it a great pick for the summer.
Choosing A Blanc Wine
The best blanc wine for you may come in a can so you can have a can when you want to eat dinner and not have to open an entire bottle of wine. Because this wine is so often served with meals, it is very helpful to have it in a convenient can variety.
Wine just doesn’t taste the same the next day out of the bottle. If you are a beginner to wines, you will appreciate a little bit of spritz to your wine as well as approachable flavors like green apple, citrus, and white nectarine.